Thursday, November 30, 2006

Tidbits

Nutcracker: Pleasant Hill Style
Shelby and Anthony are both participating again in this year’s Nutcracker dance performance. This is one of the events that we look forward to every year. Shelby has a big part in this year’s dance – she’ll be playing the Rat King, a part she auditioned for and was extremely happy to get. Anthony will be one of the party kids in the beginning of Act I. We’re really looking forward to watching them. The previous 2 years have been a real hoot! It’s so amusing to see the kids perform and they’re just all so funny for some reason. Anyway, we’re really proud of them. I’ll post some pictures after the event. That is if we’re allowed to take flash photography.

Dress Code
This subject got brought up again this week at the office. The Chronicle sales staff is expected to always wear appropriate business attire every day of the week. My boss is extremely hard-nosed about this especially. If you’re scheduled to meet with a client, you better wear a tie and dress professionally. It sounds “old school”, but I completely agree with him. I know we’re in the year 2006 and people are more laid back when it comes to dressing up at work. But, it does make a difference how people in the workplace look. If you dress in a professional manner and you’re well-groomed, you probably will act the part as well. This rule does not apply to everyone mind you. It really depends on what you do. However, some people go over the top. For example, flip-flops are never appropriate in the workplace, especially with men. Yes, I’ve seen it, and it’s nasty. Shirts with rips and tears, track suits, sweat pants, stretchy pants, and anything with leather (besides a jacket) should never be worn in an office environment. It’s just inappropriate and it basically cheapens the whole work atmosphere. I don’t know … maybe it’s just me, but I think that since we are the largest newspaper in Northern California, we should be proud of it and respect it by the way we dress.

Breaking Tradition
Since 2001, my brothers, some friends, and I have spent an afternoon in the city every year to go to the International Auto Show. It’s always been a great event. None of us are really in to cars, but we always find it neat to sit in cars we’re never going to own and to check out the new concept cars on display. Every year we went, until now. I guess traditions were meant to be broken. Instead of going to the auto show, we ended up having breakfast at Lisa’s & Daniel’s, watched a DVD, and shopped at Best Buy. The rest of the afternoon was mostly just sitting around, eating, and talking about stuff – topics ranged from farting in front of your significant other, to video games, to crazy folks in our family. Heck, I think that beats going to the auto show.
(On a side note, the breakfast was good, Lisa. I loved the turkey bacon!)

Dave Recommends:
MUSIC: Nothing Left to Lose by Matt Kearney
IN THEATERS: Happy Feet
DVD: This is Spinal Tap

YouTube: “Super Rad” by the Aquabats

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah welll, i'm bringin' back the 50's look. ya know, the suspenders, slacks, tie and a top hat. this is it for me.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home