Election Madness
Mac’s recent post inspired me to voice out my opinion on this upcoming election. I already filled out my ballot and mailed it. Am I satisfied with my choices? For the most part, I’m happy with who and what I voted for. I think California really needs improvement in so many different areas. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that a change in leadership is necessary. We have Propositions laid out for us to vote on and some are really good ideas, but others are deeply flawed and expensive. I’ve done the research, I voted, and I’m happy with my choices. That’s really all that counts.
As far as the national picture goes, I believe that the Republicans need to go. They have done so little with the power and the time that was given to them. They’ve continued to support the President’s course in Iraq even though it’s clear that it’s failing. Scandals of corruption and sexual misconduct have tainted their reputation as being the “party of moral values”. We are told that we should be grateful that gas prices are low. Low compared to what? $2.35 a gallon is not what I expect when I hear “low gas prices”. Just look back 3 to 4 years and compare our gas prices then to now. The GOP prides itself as being tough on national security. Let’s not forget who was in charge when 9/11 happened. Let’s not forget who was in charge when Katrina hit New Orleans – if they can’t even respond to our citizens after a national disaster, then how can we rely on them the next time we get hit by terrorists? See, the problem with the Republican Party is that they have too much power. They believe that people should just follow them because they possess that power. They believe they can change laws and policies and people should just follow them. But is that what democracy is? Where’s the free exchange of ideas? Where’s the voice of the people? Where’s the democratic process? Wire tapping, torture, the Patriot Act, etc … we, the American people, were not given a voice regarding the implementation of these programs. And we’re the ones being affected by them.
I’m not writing this to convince you who to vote for next week. I’m just here to remind people that IT IS important for you to go out there and VOTE because it directly affects all of us. This country needs a major overhaul. The great thing about it, though, is that you have a voice whether you vote Republican, Democrat, or independent. I still believe in the process. It all counts. Vote for your future kids & grandkids. What kind of country do you want them to grow up in?
As far as the national picture goes, I believe that the Republicans need to go. They have done so little with the power and the time that was given to them. They’ve continued to support the President’s course in Iraq even though it’s clear that it’s failing. Scandals of corruption and sexual misconduct have tainted their reputation as being the “party of moral values”. We are told that we should be grateful that gas prices are low. Low compared to what? $2.35 a gallon is not what I expect when I hear “low gas prices”. Just look back 3 to 4 years and compare our gas prices then to now. The GOP prides itself as being tough on national security. Let’s not forget who was in charge when 9/11 happened. Let’s not forget who was in charge when Katrina hit New Orleans – if they can’t even respond to our citizens after a national disaster, then how can we rely on them the next time we get hit by terrorists? See, the problem with the Republican Party is that they have too much power. They believe that people should just follow them because they possess that power. They believe they can change laws and policies and people should just follow them. But is that what democracy is? Where’s the free exchange of ideas? Where’s the voice of the people? Where’s the democratic process? Wire tapping, torture, the Patriot Act, etc … we, the American people, were not given a voice regarding the implementation of these programs. And we’re the ones being affected by them.
I’m not writing this to convince you who to vote for next week. I’m just here to remind people that IT IS important for you to go out there and VOTE because it directly affects all of us. This country needs a major overhaul. The great thing about it, though, is that you have a voice whether you vote Republican, Democrat, or independent. I still believe in the process. It all counts. Vote for your future kids & grandkids. What kind of country do you want them to grow up in?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home