Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Tidbits

Crikey!
I’m still a bit saddened by the sudden departure of Steve Irwin. As much as we loved to make fun of the guy and laugh at him while watching his TV shows, we still respected him for his knowledge and passion for animals and nature. I have never seen anybody so utterly foolish and fearless at the same time that it makes you wonder whether the guy should be revered or be looked upon as a reckless idiot. Nevertheless, he brought comedy and a much-needed spark back in the world of nature and science. There was nobody like him on TV … and sadly, there will never be another Steve Irwin. Maybe that’s why I see his passing as such a huge loss. It’s just like when we lost Bob Ross or Jim Henson – true originals who will never be cloned or duplicated ever again.


"Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner"
If you know this line, then you're either a woman, or you're involved with someone who's actually a Dirty Dancing fan.
I don't get it! Why is this movie so appealing to women? Swayze isn't all that good-looking. As a matter of fact, a dancing man in tight shirts and groin-grabbing pants looks kinda gay in my opinion. (my apologies to the gay community)
I have never seen the whole movie - only bits and pieces. But from what I've seen, it's a pretty lame story of a rich girl falling in love with a poorly-financed, gyrating bad seed .
The music isn't all that great either. As a matter of fact, the songs played in the movie are absolutely laughable. "She's Like the Wind" and "Time of My Life"? Pleeeaze!
But despite all these, it's still one of the most beloved movies of all-time. Turn on your TV and I guarantee you that it's on somewhere. The soundtrack is also inescapable - after all, it's "light rock" so it will always manage to get on the airwaves.
Dirty Dancing is like the flu - it comes and goes, but it's ALWAYS somewhere!

YouTube: A Video Junkyard
I actually surfed YouTube.com this past weekend. It’s the first time I really tried to look up videos on the site. After 5 minutes of watching music videos, TV & movie clips, etc., I was hooked! Since MTV never plays music videos anymore, this site has become a great viewing source for these sorts of things. Plus, there are some folks out there who are really skilled at editing movie clips such as this scene from Star Wars – hilarious! Anyway, in reality, YouTube is really nothing more than a junkyard for videos that you won’t be able to find on cable TV or your local Blockbuster store. Don’t believe me? Where else can you find this classic Spandau Ballet clip? That’s what I thought.


Dave Recommends:
CD: Inhuman Rampage by Dragonforce
DVD: March of the Penguins
TV: Ace of Cakes (Food Network)
YouTube: Vader’s a Jerk

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babe

I LOVE those songs from Dirty Dancing; I've listed them on our play list for the wedding. I also want to learn the final dance where, "baby was in the corner" and have this as our 1st dance. I think it would be so memorable.

We'll stage it. I'll sit next to my parents, you come get me. I'll run, jump and have you catch and lift me in the air? BETTER BUILD UP THOSE ARM MUSCLES or we'll be more like the scene from Dodge ball =0)

SHOW THEM YOUR YOU-TUBE DAVE

12:29 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

You can literally spend hours on YouTube. ...not that I've done that...at work... I espeically like looking up my favorite old shows, watching the opening title sequence, and being dissapointed that it's not as cool as you remember it being. Do a YouTube search on "TJ Hooker" or "Baywatch." Do it.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home