Profile This!
My coworker and I were having a discussion about the recent events involving terrorists and airplanes. When it comes to airport security, he’s all for racial profiling. It’s not because he’s a racists, but because it may be the only way to avoid more attacks on innocent people. While I understand his concern, I totally disagree with his point of view, and it’s mainly because I've experienced racial profiling first hand.
I’ve been stopped by airport security almost every time I’ve traveled (even before 9/11). It’s funny how they actually say that I’ve been “randomly selected” to be searched before I board a plane. Random my a**! As they pull me aside to a “special” staging area so I can be scanned and searched, I see a plethora of white people just moving along the regular line without being inconvenienced as they boarded their respective planes. But, because the color of my skin is a threat to National Security, I get picked on by airport personnel. And that’s not the worst part – the worst part is the stares I get from people passing by. It’s like I’m already guilty of something. Perhaps the only thing I’m guilty of is not shaving before I left. Yeah, I can see why you would mistake me for a terrorist because of this 3-day old beard.
I know that our government wants its citizens to be safe when they travel, but “racial profiling” is not the answer. Citizens of this country should be treated fairly and without prejudice – it’s in the Constitution for crying out loud! The only real way to prevent terrorism is:
1) Develop better foreign policies – the terrorists don’t hate Americans because of our freedom or way of life. That’s a bunch of bologna! They hate the U.S. because of our foreign policies and because they see the American government as a threat to THEIR way of life.
2) Better intelligence – If the British can do it, why can’t we?
3) Better funding for the Department of Homeland Security
4) Make sure that our military is properly equipped and used wisely.
5) Stop invading other countries.
Those who are all for “profiling” in airports are normally people who have never experienced racial prejudice. Those people just need to shut up, because until it happens to them, they will never realize how degrading it is. There are better and more efficient ways for our Homeland Security to spend their time and money than harassing poor little Filipino men like me. Again, this is just another case of ignorance and fear overtaking America.
I’ve been stopped by airport security almost every time I’ve traveled (even before 9/11). It’s funny how they actually say that I’ve been “randomly selected” to be searched before I board a plane. Random my a**! As they pull me aside to a “special” staging area so I can be scanned and searched, I see a plethora of white people just moving along the regular line without being inconvenienced as they boarded their respective planes. But, because the color of my skin is a threat to National Security, I get picked on by airport personnel. And that’s not the worst part – the worst part is the stares I get from people passing by. It’s like I’m already guilty of something. Perhaps the only thing I’m guilty of is not shaving before I left. Yeah, I can see why you would mistake me for a terrorist because of this 3-day old beard.
I know that our government wants its citizens to be safe when they travel, but “racial profiling” is not the answer. Citizens of this country should be treated fairly and without prejudice – it’s in the Constitution for crying out loud! The only real way to prevent terrorism is:
1) Develop better foreign policies – the terrorists don’t hate Americans because of our freedom or way of life. That’s a bunch of bologna! They hate the U.S. because of our foreign policies and because they see the American government as a threat to THEIR way of life.
2) Better intelligence – If the British can do it, why can’t we?
3) Better funding for the Department of Homeland Security
4) Make sure that our military is properly equipped and used wisely.
5) Stop invading other countries.
Those who are all for “profiling” in airports are normally people who have never experienced racial prejudice. Those people just need to shut up, because until it happens to them, they will never realize how degrading it is. There are better and more efficient ways for our Homeland Security to spend their time and money than harassing poor little Filipino men like me. Again, this is just another case of ignorance and fear overtaking America.
3 Comments:
I have gotten randomly selected practically every time too. I was just talking to someone about this the other day. The weirdest thing they do every time is make me take off my sandals, then they swab both them and my feet and put the swab in a little machine, and wait for it to clear me. What the heck can I hide in flip-flops?
Flip-Flops? Are you kidding me? That's our tax dollars at work.
Ches is often mistaken for persian, italian, even hispanic, so that's why she gets "randomly" selected.
Post a Comment
<< Home