Thursday, August 17, 2006

Power Lunch

A few of my coworkers and I were having another heated discussion over lunch – this time it’s about “war”. My ultra-conservative friend is a proponent of “let’s nuke all our enemies and be done with it”. And he does have a valid point. When we dropped the bomb in Japan back in the 40’s, it ended the World War. Also, it only took them a few years to rebuild their county to make it one of the most successful economic superpowers in the world. Is that logical? Destroy all in order to rebuild a better society?

But, what are the moral (or immoral) ramifications of destruction and eliminating thousands, or maybe millions of people? It’s not even a matter of political correctness, but a matter of “life” that we should take in consideration. Was Hiroshima necessary? Would I have been opposed to that military action back in the 40’s? If Bush decides to nuke Iran, North Korea, and Syria to stop the madness, would I support it?

I think it’s irresponsible for anyone to think about “nuking” other countries. We were attacked on September 11th. Remember how that felt? Well, what makes it right for us to do the same thing to another country? Americans need to wake up – when you kill innocent people, whether it’s war or not, that’s more or less a terrorist act. We were so outraged by what happened in 9/11, and yet we’re so quick to agree that destroying other countries is the RIGHT THING to do. How does that make sense? Aren’t we, a self-proclaimed Christian nation, supposed to uphold a much deeper commitment to human life and God’s creations compared to those who attacked us?

I just hope that our country learns from our mistakes, especially the pre-emptive war in Iraq. Military action is not the only solution to the world’s problems. When lives are involved, we should always stop and think of the consequences before we aggressively pursue a violent course of action. So, would I support dropping “the bomb” in North Korea, Iran, or Syria? I’m leaning towards a "NO". However, I’m glad that it’s not me that would be making that final decision. That’s what generals are for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home