El Mayflower
No immigration reform will ever satisfy both sides of the debate. Politicians will never stop illegal immigration because they all need the minority votes come election time. I do believe that there needs to be a wall or a fence on the border. Yes, we know that illegal immigrants will always find a way to get over the border – with or without a fence, but at least it sends a clear message that crossing over to another country without legal paperwork is indeed against the law.
As far as the debate on terrorists crossing the border, the hijackers on 9/11 all had documented visa’s. They never used Mexico as a way to get in. As a matter of fact, I don’t ever recall any terrorist organization using Mexico as a way to get in. But still, I would prefer a real fence on the border anyway.
I do want to send a message to the members of Congress & the Senate. Weren’t the founders of this country all immigrants too? Did they have legal paperwork in hand when they decided to migrate to this land all those centuries ago? I understand that times have changed and we must now obey the laws of our present democratic government. But please, don’t forget how we got to this point in our history. This land was not your forefathers’ either. Take that in to consideration the next time you think of kicking out 11million “illegals” out of the country. Technically, America was someone else’s before the “white folks” came along.
As far as the debate on terrorists crossing the border, the hijackers on 9/11 all had documented visa’s. They never used Mexico as a way to get in. As a matter of fact, I don’t ever recall any terrorist organization using Mexico as a way to get in. But still, I would prefer a real fence on the border anyway.
I do want to send a message to the members of Congress & the Senate. Weren’t the founders of this country all immigrants too? Did they have legal paperwork in hand when they decided to migrate to this land all those centuries ago? I understand that times have changed and we must now obey the laws of our present democratic government. But please, don’t forget how we got to this point in our history. This land was not your forefathers’ either. Take that in to consideration the next time you think of kicking out 11million “illegals” out of the country. Technically, America was someone else’s before the “white folks” came along.
2 Comments:
I agree. It's a lose-lose situation that will never please everyone. Good job U.S. for not enforcing the laws that have already in place. You could've avoided this problem altogether.
No help from Mexico either, who encourages jumping the border.
You're right the founders were all immigrants--legal immigrants. Don't confuse immigrants with illegal immigrants.
NY Times columnist Paul Krugman pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue.
You're right. As far back as I can remember, no president of this country has ever aggresively tackled this problem head on. Phooey on all of them! The sad thing is, after all the recent protests and Congress pretending to act on the issue, this will all be forgotten in a few months when the next hot-button issue comes along. Just like the gay-marriage thing ... anybody talking about that now? These things have their own way of getting swept under the rug.
Post a Comment
<< Home