Tarnished Legacy
Two Chronicle writers have apparently written a book detailing the controversial history of Barry Bonds and his use of steroids. As much as I want to use the “innocent ‘til proven guilty” adage, I just can’t seem to shake the fact that all the indications are right in front of us. It’s like saying to yourself that it’s not raining while you’re being drenched by water falling from the sky. Granted, the new information that’s coming out about Bonds’ steroid use are all allegations and hearsay. However, it’s hard to discount his grand jury testimony that he indeed use some sort of substance one way or another to enhance his performance. With more information soon to be published, it will be harder for people to continue to believe and root for Barry.
I’ve been a Giants fan since I came to the States – and I continue to be a Giants fan. However, it’s time for Barry Bonds to go and fade in to retirement. A team’s reputation is much more valuable than one man’s home run record. I believe it’s time for the Giants and Major League Baseball to clean up their act – fans are ready for integrity and fair play to come back in to pro-sports. We’ve been duped long enough.
As for Barry Bonds, this is another tale of how one man’s ego destroyed a lifetime of personal accomplishments. I truly believe that fame and money drives people to do these things. All the warning signs are out there about the dangers of using steroids and yet athletes seem to not care – it’s all about the money and numbers in the record books. It’s never about legacy or integrity.
I’ve been a Giants fan since I came to the States – and I continue to be a Giants fan. However, it’s time for Barry Bonds to go and fade in to retirement. A team’s reputation is much more valuable than one man’s home run record. I believe it’s time for the Giants and Major League Baseball to clean up their act – fans are ready for integrity and fair play to come back in to pro-sports. We’ve been duped long enough.
As for Barry Bonds, this is another tale of how one man’s ego destroyed a lifetime of personal accomplishments. I truly believe that fame and money drives people to do these things. All the warning signs are out there about the dangers of using steroids and yet athletes seem to not care – it’s all about the money and numbers in the record books. It’s never about legacy or integrity.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home