Tuesday, January 17, 2006

An Eventful Weekend

My weekend in San Diego was a busy one. We visited family, went to a night viewing, and then got up early on Sunday for the funeral. They even had a post-funeral luncheon immediately after the ceremony. All in all, it was a hectic, but worth-while trip. After all, it was all for my late uncle – one of our favorite uncles. On a side note, Daniel and I were pallbearers at the funeral. So, we both wore “barongs” – yeah, baby!

The highlight of the trip was definitely seeing my cousins, aunts & uncles, and close family friends. Filipino funerals become family reunions right after the ceremonies and after all the tears have been shed for the dearly departed. It’s what my Uncle Boy would have wanted – a party with lots of food and family. At the gathering, I even met up with a childhood friend whom I haven’t seen or heard from since I was 13. It’s amazing how small the world really is.

The drive back was a pleasant one. My Aunt Martha & my Uncle Willie were great company. I loved listening to their stories. It made the 8-hour drive go by fast even without my usual rock music blasting on the cd player.

To my family and friends in San Diego, it was great seeing you all again. Hopefully, the next time we see each other in the future, it would be under different circumstances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home