Best & Worst Films of 2005
Although the majority of movies I saw in 2005 were fairly decent, there were still a bunch of really horrible ones that I saw in the theaters and on DVD – particularly the comedy remakes and sequels. Except for The Corpse Bride, this was also a pretty disappointing year for animated features. The good news is, independent films continue to remain strong and Spielberg is once again on the top of his game. Plus, George Lucas redeemed himself by making a pretty decent conclusion to the Star Wars saga (thank God that’s over!). Ron Howard, who’s always consistent year after year, directed one of the best sports movies I’ve ever seen in Cinderella Man. As I’ve said, comedies were terrible in 2005 - only Hitch and The 40-Year Old Virgin were the exceptions. Action flicks continue to remain strong year after year also. In 2005, Hostage, Assault on Precinct 13, and Sin City were among the best.
For a guy who loves movies, I had fun at the theaters in 2005. Like I said, I saw more good ones than bad. Let’s hope 2006 brings us more surprises … and more Rachel McAdams … and less Tom Cruise. By the way, wake me up when King Kong ends – that’s one of the longest movies I’ve seen in recent years … (yawn) zzzzzz!
(Note: To be fair, here are some critically acclaimed films I have yet to see: Walk the Line, Brokeback Mountain, Syriana, The New World, Good Night and Good Luck, A History of Violence)
Dave’s Top Ten Films of 2005
10) The Constant Gardener
9) Jarhead
8) The Family Stone
7) Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
6) Sin City
5) Munich
4) The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
3) War of the Worlds
2) Cinderella Man
1) Crash
Worst of 2005:
10) Mr. & Mrs. Smith
9) Fantastic 4
8) Dark Water
7) Kicking and Screaming
6) Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
5) A Lot Like Love
4) The Adventures of Shark Boy & Lava Girl (3-D)
3) Herbie: Fully Loaded
2) Deuce Bigalow - European Gigolo
1) The Longest Yard
Check out:
Oliver’s Best Films of 2005
Lem's Best Films of 2005
Oscar Nominees
For a guy who loves movies, I had fun at the theaters in 2005. Like I said, I saw more good ones than bad. Let’s hope 2006 brings us more surprises … and more Rachel McAdams … and less Tom Cruise. By the way, wake me up when King Kong ends – that’s one of the longest movies I’ve seen in recent years … (yawn) zzzzzz!
(Note: To be fair, here are some critically acclaimed films I have yet to see: Walk the Line, Brokeback Mountain, Syriana, The New World, Good Night and Good Luck, A History of Violence)
Dave’s Top Ten Films of 2005
10) The Constant Gardener
9) Jarhead
8) The Family Stone
7) Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
6) Sin City
5) Munich
4) The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
3) War of the Worlds
2) Cinderella Man
1) Crash
Worst of 2005:
10) Mr. & Mrs. Smith
9) Fantastic 4
8) Dark Water
7) Kicking and Screaming
6) Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
5) A Lot Like Love
4) The Adventures of Shark Boy & Lava Girl (3-D)
3) Herbie: Fully Loaded
2) Deuce Bigalow - European Gigolo
1) The Longest Yard
Check out:
Oliver’s Best Films of 2005
Lem's Best Films of 2005
Oscar Nominees
2 Comments:
What!? I thought Mr. and Mrs. Smith was super funny. I'm surprised that is one of your top ten worst.
You know what was genuinely BAD movie? Mada-freakin'-gascar! What a waste of time-wasting.
Sorry, man. I thought "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" was so freakin' bland and totally predictable. Daniel highly recommended it too but I just hated it. Maybe it was just too over-hyped because of Brad and Angelina.
"Madagascar" was tolerable.
Post a Comment
<< Home