Thursday, August 25, 2005

Quittin' Time

Money is not everything. I officially quit my job at the SF Weekly this past Monday. It was a very difficult decision, especially since the Associate Publisher was the one that recruited me to work there - he's also a good friend of mine. So, I felt that I really let him down. Bottom line is, I was unhappy with the job from the day I started. I thought that things would get better, but it obviously didn't. The hours were long and they wanted some of my Saturdays too. Plus, the job is absolutely stressful. I have no regrets, though. I learned a lot in the past 47 days.

Moving forward, my old manager from the Chronicle wants me back. We just need to get some things in writing and I'll be back to work. I really missed my co-workers at the Chronicle. There's a true family atmosphere in this paper that I didn't feel at the Weekly.

Lesson learned - a good paying job is great, but quality of life, being close to family, and working with good people is priceless.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Thoughts*
Lessons in life - most you really can't understand until you live through them yourself.

It's nice to know that you can go back to where the grass looked dull & brown - but really is greener.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least you get your old job back! Live and learn.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Yeah, that's great to be able to go back. That would be scary to take a new job and find out it's worse than your old one.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...all them people who pushed for a better paying job...BOOOYAAH!
Money is not everything...there are so many more important things than money...like family and friends.

Oh yeah...i'm going to be going through the new job stage...so, pray for me or just wish me luck.

daniel

9:03 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Chesney just made the same job change, in order to do what she really wanted to do: Sign Language.

...except the pay is better with this new job, so I guess she gets the best of both worlds.

Best of luck, Daniel.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home