Monday, April 25, 2005

T'was A Good Night Of Comedy

One of our advertising clients offered me discounted tickets for a comedy show a month ago. Actually, he offered me these tickets for free, but being the smart & fair business man that I am, I declined the free tickets and decided to pay for them myself. The show is with Colin Mochrie & Brad Sherwood from Whose Line Is It Anyway?

So, this past Saturday, Dee and I drove to Berkeley, had dinner at one of our favorite *restaurants, and went to the show. We got there a little after 7:30pm thinking that we can just go to the will-call box and pick up the tickets with no problems. I thought I could actually go in and find our client for a meet and greet before the show started. Well, when we got there, there were about a hundred people standing in line to pick up tickets as well. By the time we got to the end, it was 10 minutes past the original start of the show. Anyway, when we got to the box, there was a nice man at the window who helped us out. He handed me my tickets. I asked, “So, how much do I owe you”? He waved his hand and said, “Don’t worry about it”. The tickets cost $90 for both, and I got them for **free! At that point, I could have stood in line for another 30 minutes. Anyway, the organizers held the show until they could get everybody inside. One man in line said, “Holding the show – what a concept”? So, once we got inside, an usher showed us our seats. We were about five rows from the stage! We were so close that I could actually see Colin’s sweat on his shiny, bald forehead.

The show itself was absolutely hilarious! There were plenty of times during the show that I was actually in tears from laughing so hard. Everything they did was all improv, just like the TV show. Colin and Brad worked so well together and for them to come up with funny remarks and adapt to situations at the drop of a hat is truly remarkable. They played with the audience, teased with the audience, and also brought some of them on stage for gags and skits. Having seen Robin Williams live, I must say that this show was a much better product. I guess it’s because Robin, as much as I love his comedy, comes across at times as over-doing the material. Colin and Brad are more comedy purists than normal stand-ups, and they take their time too. But the most fascinating thing about them is that when they feel something in the skit or game is not working, they always find a way to use it for a laugh. As a matter of fact, that’s when they truly shine.

So, was the show worth $45 a seat? I would say, “YES”!

*Giovanni’s at Shattuck
**Ah, perks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds totally awesome

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home