Help Me, Docta!
Two popular doctors are on our airwaves on a daily basis giving advice to people that don’t need professional advice – they need “common sense” instead. But, that’s a different topic all together.
Dr. Phil and Dr. Laura Schlessinger are both prominent tv and radio personalities that attempt to fix people’s lives on a daily basis – and they’re both absolutely annoying.
For all the Dr. Phil fans, I apologize. He got his own tv show because of Oprah. His whole success can be credited to Oprah. And his show, where does he find these screwed up people to go on tv to talk about their problems? First of all, if you really want to help them, DON’T PUT THEM ON TV! Last I heard therapy is privileged between the doctor and the patient, not the doctor, patient, and 1 million viewers. Second, a lot of Dr. Phil’s advice came from the “common sense” text book of responsible parenting or responsible spousal treatment. Anybody can order this text book from a place called, “the human brain”. All it takes are 4 monthly installments of “thinking”.
Dr. Laura, where do I even start? The people that call her radio talk show are mostly from middle America – which doesn’t say much for her demographics. The callers are mostly women – middle-aged. Now, for someone who’s at an older age, you would think that they would have enough “common sense” to resolve their petty issues without having to call someone on the radio who they haven’t even met. And quite frankly, I never heard anybody’s life being changed after a 3 minute phone call. Anyway, the advice that Dr. Laura gives can sometimes be disturbing. First of all, she’s a proponent of wives serving their husbands. SERVING! Yes, we are in the 21st century and she still sees women as being housewives that should tend to their husbands’ needs. Second, she’s against divorce, even if couples are unhappy together. Now, I know that nobody ever wants to get divorced, but sometimes, things just don’t work out. And if couples are so unhappy together, why advice them to stay together? The one good thing about her show is that it is entertaining – as in, funny. Spend a good ten minutes listening and you’ll be hooked. Scary isn’t it?
So, who’s more annoying? You be the judge. I, for one, can’t stand both of them. Although, it makes for good entertainment.
Dr. Phil and Dr. Laura Schlessinger are both prominent tv and radio personalities that attempt to fix people’s lives on a daily basis – and they’re both absolutely annoying.
For all the Dr. Phil fans, I apologize. He got his own tv show because of Oprah. His whole success can be credited to Oprah. And his show, where does he find these screwed up people to go on tv to talk about their problems? First of all, if you really want to help them, DON’T PUT THEM ON TV! Last I heard therapy is privileged between the doctor and the patient, not the doctor, patient, and 1 million viewers. Second, a lot of Dr. Phil’s advice came from the “common sense” text book of responsible parenting or responsible spousal treatment. Anybody can order this text book from a place called, “the human brain”. All it takes are 4 monthly installments of “thinking”.
Dr. Laura, where do I even start? The people that call her radio talk show are mostly from middle America – which doesn’t say much for her demographics. The callers are mostly women – middle-aged. Now, for someone who’s at an older age, you would think that they would have enough “common sense” to resolve their petty issues without having to call someone on the radio who they haven’t even met. And quite frankly, I never heard anybody’s life being changed after a 3 minute phone call. Anyway, the advice that Dr. Laura gives can sometimes be disturbing. First of all, she’s a proponent of wives serving their husbands. SERVING! Yes, we are in the 21st century and she still sees women as being housewives that should tend to their husbands’ needs. Second, she’s against divorce, even if couples are unhappy together. Now, I know that nobody ever wants to get divorced, but sometimes, things just don’t work out. And if couples are so unhappy together, why advice them to stay together? The one good thing about her show is that it is entertaining – as in, funny. Spend a good ten minutes listening and you’ll be hooked. Scary isn’t it?
So, who’s more annoying? You be the judge. I, for one, can’t stand both of them. Although, it makes for good entertainment.
1 Comments:
Hey! What's wrong with housewives who tend their husband's needs? What's wrong with encouraging to keep marriages together when they're on the rocks?
With that, I am totally not defending Dr. Laura because I listened to her once on a road trip from LA to the Bay Area. Actually, she annoyed the heck out of me. She seems very harsh and not tact with her words. And I do agree with you, most of the callers just need to think out their problems and they'll find the same answers without calling in to Dr. Laura.
I don't watch Dr. Phil, but I do listen to Love Line. That's awesome. Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew all the way!
Post a Comment
<< Home