Thursday, March 03, 2005

Mercy Me!

Here’s an interesting article from SFGate.com on the state of Christian music in the West Coast, particularly the Bay Area. Let’s face it, we live in a very liberal part of the country where Christian music is last on everybody’s play list when it comes to radio or record music sales. I don’t listen to Christian music not because it isn’t easily accessible or because of a lack of a prominent radio station that carries it, but because it’s weak. Christian music, in general, is like the watered-down version of secular pop music. There are exceptions, however. Bands like Delirious, Five Iron Frenzy, Sixpence None the Richer, and Newsboys for example, are artists that took chances and formed their own original sound. Christian music is supposed to be inspired by God, not inspired by pop music. Another reason why Christian music has been ignored here in the Bay Area is because the artists themselves are either afraid to come here for moral reasons or they know that it might not reap them any profits. So, in the end, it all comes down to money. Isn’t Christian music supposed to be a tool for ministry, or a tool for life nourishment? I understand that artists need money, after all this is their lively-hood. But, it seems to me that the Christian music industry has lost its focus. When kids have to pay outrageous amounts of money to see their favorite acts live (in Great America of all places), I think that there’s truly something wrong with that. What’s the solution? Go back to basics. Instead of trying to compete or copy the mainstream secular music industry, just start thinking small again - play smaller venues, play in local churches, play in community & city functions, play for free (not all the time). Also, the industry should really start taking its music seriously. Artists need to start writing better songs and producing a more original product. Stop copying what secular music is doing. They need to start forming their own unique sound so that people would start to notice and actually take them seriously. That’s how you create a stir and revive a dying product.

Recommend: Old Michael W. Smith albums, The Imperials (for you tradionalists), Delirious, Five Iron Frenzy, Sixpence None the Richer, Jars of Clay’s first album, Sonic Flood’s first album, Newboys, Whiteheart (for you 80’s fans), "old school" DC Talk.

10 Comments:

Blogger MalaBOOYAH said...

Yeah, man. Christian music can't stay up to par with secular music. It just lacks a certain quality that makes it just one level lower than everything else, especially in the rock genre.

It's true that the original work of bands tend to be much better than their newer stuff. Jars of Clay is a HUGE example of that, though I do enjoy their new albums, it isn't anything like their old work (their first two are awesome). Also, I like Switchfoot's older albums probably better than their newer stuff just because it's more Switchfoot and less pop. Plus, for some reason, they seem like slight sell-outs to me.

Five Iron Frenzy rocks.

To conclude, Christian music, like you said, should focus more on ministry and "life nourishment." Money is indeed an issue, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor. Christian bands should street perform. That would be dope.

1:16 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

A couple of things...
-Christian music has always been influenced by the secular music of the time. Our traditional hymns were sometimes the same exact music as a secular song with the words just changed.

-I do agree that it's stupid that Christian artist don't play on the West Coast. If the morality of the people here is an issue, shouldn't it be all the more reason to reach out to kids here? If they stay in the Bible belt of America, isn't tha t like preaching to the choir? (or...singing to the preacher?)

Side commentary: Christian music has just exploded in the last 15 years. When I started buying my old, old Michael W. Smith cassettes, there were barely enough artists out there to fill a wall. Now there's tons out there to choose from.

Lem, I like the new Switchfoot stuff better than their old stuff...but then, I like pop.

Nothing can beat Jars of Clay's first album.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Dave1974 said...

I've never been a fan of Switchfoot, but those 2 songs they play on the radio are amazing.

I think more artists should crossover to mainstream. I don't think it's "selling out". I think it's about reaching a larger audience. As long as the message remains the same, I would have no problem with it. P.O.D. is a good example of that. Those guys went on MTV's TRL and started telling people about their Christian beliefs. They even preached on stage during their concerts when they toured with secular bands. I wasn't a big fan of their music, but I give them "mad props" for using their talents for ministry. Why couldn't more Christian artists do that?

Also, I'm with Lem. Street performances would be awesome!

10:41 AM  
Blogger MalaBOOYAH said...

I listened to DC Talk today. They need to get back together.

One thing I always loved about Switchfoot (from their first album to their fourth) is that their lyrics are very well written. New Way to Be Human and Beautiful Letdown have great words if not great tunes (though I like the songs for their sound too).

2:13 AM  
Blogger Oli said...

Who cares about lyrics, who even REALLy listens to them anyway? You'll find yourself listening to something cuz' its sounds good to you, suits your taste, and soon you'll be singing along to songs that you don't even necessarily think have the best moral lyrics.

For example, I like to sing along to "2 Become 1" by Spice Girls. Not very great lyrics, but catchy tune and quality singing.

2:27 AM  
Blogger Dave1974 said...

Spice Girls = Quality singing?

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm tending to agree with Oliver on this one.

Mac

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i say...most christian bands these days suck bacause christians, in general, are just so freakin' lame. why, you might ask? Christians are lame from the very beginning...it's now all about "God will take away all your troubles..." Sermons are just so freakin' lame these days...what ever happened to laying down our lives, or the sacrifices and sufferings that we're going to go through...nobody ever preaches about that anymore...it's all bout "'Tis so Sweet To Trust In Jesus" WHAT? When was it ever sweet to trust in Jesus? If it was that sweet, everybody would be trusting in Jesus. What the heck are christians thinking?

Oh yeah...check this...INSPIRATION SENSATION...the new reality TV show for lame christians...kinda like American Idol. This is how dumb christians are...going this low to be "cool"

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

music these days is pretty gay and so are Christians...so if you put them together...you get double the gayness...double rainbow...HAZZAAA!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Dave1974 said...

Daniel's SO ANGRY!

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home