Being Roger Ebert
RENTAL
SAVED! (PG-13)
This movie mocks the hypocrisy of religion; Christianity in particular. Surprisingly, being a Christian, I wasn’t offended. I knew that most of the content and the characters in the movie go way beyond the "normal" behavior of typical Christian teens. Even kids in church youth groups don’t talk and think that way about Jesus. Funny thing is, this film actually captured the stereotypical Christian environment – the youth pastor who desperately acts hip to reach the kids, the over-the-top perfect Christian teen, the rebellious pastor’s son, the music (oh man, the music). It just brought back so many memories of the old Christian academy I attended as a kid.
Anyway, I really enjoyed this film. This movie wasn’t just about Christian teen fanatics, but it was also about real-life teen issues – pregnancy, homosexuality, drugs, peer pressure, and sex. The best scene in the whole movie was the confrontation in the last few minutes of the film. It brought the whole truth about what Christianity and Jesus was all about – after all the pain and the rejection, it’s really just all about LOVE – loving God, loving others, and God loving us despite our imperfections.
Grade: A
If you like teen comedies or drama, may I also recommend:
Mean Girls – A smart and funny film about girls in general.
10 Things I Hate About You – Shakespeare 90’s style
Romy & Michelle’s H.S. Reunion – One of my favorites (probably because I grew up in the 80’s)
Some Kind of Wonderful – Probably the best teen movie of the 80’s
Real Women Have Curves – An independent film about a girl trying to find acceptance and an identity.
Clueless – Unlike the title, this movie actually has a brain
Can’t Hardly Wait – Nerds, jocks, prom queens, wannabes, etc … ah, high school life.
SAVED! (PG-13)
This movie mocks the hypocrisy of religion; Christianity in particular. Surprisingly, being a Christian, I wasn’t offended. I knew that most of the content and the characters in the movie go way beyond the "normal" behavior of typical Christian teens. Even kids in church youth groups don’t talk and think that way about Jesus. Funny thing is, this film actually captured the stereotypical Christian environment – the youth pastor who desperately acts hip to reach the kids, the over-the-top perfect Christian teen, the rebellious pastor’s son, the music (oh man, the music). It just brought back so many memories of the old Christian academy I attended as a kid.
Anyway, I really enjoyed this film. This movie wasn’t just about Christian teen fanatics, but it was also about real-life teen issues – pregnancy, homosexuality, drugs, peer pressure, and sex. The best scene in the whole movie was the confrontation in the last few minutes of the film. It brought the whole truth about what Christianity and Jesus was all about – after all the pain and the rejection, it’s really just all about LOVE – loving God, loving others, and God loving us despite our imperfections.
Grade: A
If you like teen comedies or drama, may I also recommend:
Mean Girls – A smart and funny film about girls in general.
10 Things I Hate About You – Shakespeare 90’s style
Romy & Michelle’s H.S. Reunion – One of my favorites (probably because I grew up in the 80’s)
Some Kind of Wonderful – Probably the best teen movie of the 80’s
Real Women Have Curves – An independent film about a girl trying to find acceptance and an identity.
Clueless – Unlike the title, this movie actually has a brain
Can’t Hardly Wait – Nerds, jocks, prom queens, wannabes, etc … ah, high school life.
5 Comments:
Really? I thought Jesus and Christianity is all about God and bringing glory to Him in every aspect of our lives. :)
I want to see Saved! It looks entertaining; I'll see if I can find someone who bought it and watch it for free.
Well, I think we bring glory to Him by showing love and compassion to everyone every day. Isn't LOVE the whole theme of the Scriptures?
Lemmy ... you're silly!
Did you guys know that Lindsay Lohan's boyfriend is Fez from "That 70's Show"?
Mac
Fez?! I'll kick his A**! He's stealing my girl!
Post a Comment
<< Home