Thursday, July 29, 2004

Tidbits

First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS to Lance Armstrong for his sixth Tour de France win. Yes, not all professional athletes are stuck-up, rich, pompous millionaires. A handful of them are actually good and decent people.

The Democratic National Convention has been great entertainment these past few days. Clinton's and Obama's speeches were absolutely inspiring. The distinction between the DNP and the GOP is more clear now than ever. I believe that the Republican Party is set on catering to the wealthy and they have ignored the rest of us. They believe in war. They believe in alienating our allies. They believe in ignoring wounded soldiers, veterans, and their families. I don't think that things are fine the way they are in our country. 900 soldiers are dead all because of lies and mistakes. What does that say about our current government? Things are not right in our country. And I'm sorry, but I believe change is necessary. Also, the GOP loves to call Kerry a flip-flopper. Let's think about it - Bush said, Iraq is going to attack us with WMD's and now he's saying oops - there weren't WMD's afterall. Bush said, "I'm a Uniter", but his policies and his war has divided the country, congress, and the senate. And last, would you really want to vote for a "war president"? Not me.

I just finished watching "Starsky and Hutch" on DVD. It's a very funny movie. Love the clothes too. Not too much to critique on this one - it's a slapstick comedy. Grade: B-

Moore vs. O'Reilly was great TV. Anybody else saw it? Let's give these two an hour of debate the next time around. I'll even pay to see it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Sorry Dave, have to disagree with you on most of this stuff... I watched some of the speeches, and I have to say, some of it is distortions of the truth, and most of it is party rhetoric (the GOP is guilty of this too) which is for show to get the party member energized. If Kerry is elected President, not much will change. Regarding the war, Kerry's going to stay the course just as if Bush was re-elected. All the plans Kerry talks about--turns out they will increase spending even further. If Bush is re-elected, I don't doubt spending will increase then. Kerry can't create 20 million new jobs, Bush can't either.

The only thing that changed between the time Clinton and Bush has been world events, and I believe Clinton (or Gore) would have dealt with this the same way.

I try not to get too into one party or the other...they tell lies about the other, and it turns me (and a lot of people as well) off to politics. Your "They believe..." lines are classic DNP lines. Watch the GOP convention and hear a whole new set of lies about the DNP...

Politics suck.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Dave1974 said...

Oh, trust me. I am aware of the "pep rally" atmosphere at these conventions. Yes, most of the speeches were inspiring. But, you're right. How many of these politicians are actually telling the truth? Maybe only a handful. One of the reasons why I'm voting for Kerry is atleast there will be hope for the U.S. to restore our relationships with our former allies. We are fighting this war by ourselves. Yes, 50 Filipino soldiers don't count. We have spent too much money and lost too many lives already. If Kerry can get help from these other countries, then we'd be in better shape. If Bush remains in office, there is no hope in restoring these ties. Most of our soldiers have been out in the Middle East for too long. The Bush administration has not done a thing to help our soldiers, and the sad part is, this is HIS war, not theirs. Yes, the DNP will increase spending. Why? It's because they have to clean up the mess that the GOP created. If our taxes will be used for helping our troops, education, and health care, I see no problem in paying them each year.
As far as comparing the Clinton years and the Bush years, there's no contest, but I would give George the "world events" excuse because 9/11 is really no one's fault. But, the actions Bush took after 9/11 could have been done better. Why is it that Osama is still lose? We should be fighting the real terrorists, the Taliban. Instead, we invaded another country. Blunders after blunders.
I promise you this, though. I will keep an open mind as I watch the GOP convention. I'm willing to hear the other side of the story. After all, I'm an Independent.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home