Monday, July 12, 2004

Sweet Sarah

Last Friday Dee and I saw Sarah McLachlan live at the HP Pavilion in San Jose. Although we didn't get great seats, we still had a wonderful time.

Butterfly Boucher, a new female alternative artist, opened the evening with songs from her debut CD, "Flutterby". The Sarah fans around us were not too fond of her cutting edge sound - a mixture of pop and hard rock (reminded me of Stretch Princess). I thought she was great. Any artist who plays bass and sings at the same time is OK in my book. Later on I found out that she played all the instruments in her new album. Quite impressive.

I have been a big fan of Sarah's music since "Surfacing." Her music isn't overblown or over-hyped. She relies only on her talent and great song-writing to flow through her performance. She projects an atmosphere of intimacy even at such a large venue. The only word that comes to mind to describe her performance is simply "sweet" - tenderness moving in slow motion. She played all her best songs including, "Ice Cream", "Adia", "Fallen", "Angel", and lots more.

Message to Dee - I promise to get better seats the next time we see our dear Sarah. I'm glad you came with me. Love you.

Useless Fact About Me: Other solo artists I admire - Bob Marley, James Taylor, Norah Jones, Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The seats were fine, David didn't bring his glasses, but don't tell his girlfriend that.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home